Although pulse oximeters are ordinarily used for monitoring oxygen saturation, some models come with respiratory rate monitoring features. These models are particularly helpful in monitoring individuals with respiratory and cardiac problems.
In this article, we’d be reviewing some of the best pulse oximeters with respiratory rate monitoring functions.
Pulse Oximeter with Respiratory Rate Counters: Our Top Recommendations
Pulse oximeters with respiratory rate monitors don’t make up the majority of the pulse oximeter market. But then, making the right choice from the available options can still be confusing if you don’t know exactly what to look for.
But after spending several hours checking and comparing, our research team put together this review of the best pulse oximeters with respiratory rate monitoring function – carefully selected based on accuracy, ease of use, durability, brand trust, and buyer reviews.
Now, let’s cut right to the chase.
1. Masimo MightySat Fingertip Pulse Oximeter
- Clinically Proven Technology: Powered by Masimo SET, the same technology used by 9 of the top 10 US hospitals and is used to monitor more than 200 Million patients annually.
- Measures 5 Key Health Parameters: including Blood Oxygen, Pulse Rate, Perfusion Index, Breath per Minute and Pleth Variability Index (PVi).
- Accurate Blood Oxygen Level Reading: Delivers accurate measurements of blood oxygen level during challenging conditions: when in motion, when hands are cold, and in direct sunlight, across all skin tones
- Easy to Use, Comfortable to Wear: Masimo MightSat fingertip pulse oximeter is durable and lightweight, with a flexible grip for greater comfort. Features a rotational, easy-to-read screen. Easy to customize with a long battery life
- Track and Trend Data Seamlessly: Track your oximeter data on your smart phone with wireless Bluetooth that seamlessly transfers data onto a free downloadable mobile app. Easily share your records with family
If you’re a professional athlete or just any regular person shopping for a portable oximeter to measure your respiratory rate, then the Masimo MightySat Fingertip Pulse Oximeter might be the right option to go for. This oximeter is designed for sports and aviation use, but it does come close to many other professional oximeters when it comes to accuracy.
One of its most exciting features is its affordability. If you’re searching for a compact, high-quality yet affordable pick, this oximeter places all these offers on the table. The portable oximeter will fit right into your finger, and you can measure your respiratory rate during workouts or just about any physical activity you want to track.
Unlike many others you will come across in the market, this oximeter is designed to provide accurate results regardless of the condition. When in motion, when hands are cold or in direct sunlight, and when worn correctly, it will deliver accurate results at all times.
As to what exactly the oximeter measures, you will get data on key health parameters like blood oxygen, pulse rate, and blow flow strength. Respiration rate (RRp) and Pleth variability index (PVi). These give you a clear picture of your respiratory health; however, these should not be taken as a medical diagnosis as the unit is not intended for medical use.
You can check and track your data on the Masimo Personal Health App. This offers a lot more convenience than regular handheld oximeters. You can store them in Apple Health and Training if you own an iOS device. Android users will also be able to access the Masimo Personal Health App with complete ease.
The app seems like a work in progress, but it will require some getting used to. Still, you should be able to access your data without hassle. The final touch to this product is the carrying case and the addition of two batteries. The carrying case provides extra protection and makes it easier to pack the oximeter while traveling.
- Offers app connectivity.
- Features an alert system.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with a carrying case.
- Not accurate in some conditions.
- The software could be improved.
2. Tomorotec Finger Pulse Oximeter
- ✅ This device is for sports and aviation use only and is not a medical device. Tomorotec Finger Pulse Oximeter is designed for sports enthusiasts, pilots or anyone who wants to accurately obtain their SpO2 (Blood Oxygen Saturation Level) and PR (Pulse Rate) within +/- 2% deviation on the go.
- ✅ The large LED display with back-lit makes viewing the results a snap. Alarm function allows you to keep close watch of your own SpO2 and PR levels by producing an audible alert if levels dip below a specified point.
- ✅ High accurate infrared sensor and ergonomic design to hold your finger correctly and comfortably to yield reliable readings. Constructed with a high quality medical grade silicone finger chamber that is hypoallergenic and latex free.
- ✅ Comes with 2x AAA batteries, 1x lanyard for added convenience and 1x carrying case to protect your pulse oximeter from dirt and damage.
- ✅ 100% Satisfaction Guarantee & Tomorotec Hassle-Free Warranty. This device is for sports and aviation use only and is not a medical device.
The Tomorotec Finger Pulse Oximeter is designed for non-medical professional use in just about any activity or other profession. If you’re a sports enthusiast, athlete, pilot, or just a regular person that wants to track and measure their blood oxygen level, pulse rate, and respiration rate, this oximeter is built to provide accurate results in many conditions.
It comes with a large LED display with a back-lit that allows you to check your results with just a view. An impressive addition is the alarm function. If you want to do more than just track your data, this oximeter will help you keep watch and alert you when the results fall below your preset threshold. The alarm function will produce an audible alert that at such times so you can always ensure that your Spo2 (oxygen levels) and PR (pulse rate) stay at the specified point.
Like most oximeters with the same design, this product is extremely easy to use. Simply pop in the batteries and place it on your finger. From there, the oximeter will get to work recording your data. Featuring an accurate infrared sensor and ergonomic design, the oximeter should hold your hand comfortably and yield reliable readings when required.
Considering the build, the oximeter is much sturdier than many other picks. It is constructed with high-quality medical-grade silicone and features a finger chamber that comes with hypoallergenic properties and is entirely latex-free. However, you should avoid dropping it accidentally. While it should be able to withstand small falls, you won’t want to damage any physical parts and cause software problems.
While the Tomorotec Finger Pulse Oximeter is great in most areas, it does have some limits. The accuracy is dependent on the right conditions so if it is cold, you’re dark-skinned or have poor circulation, your results might not be the most accurate. However, they will be pretty close in these conditions. Under normal circumstances, the results are on par with most professional oximeters.
The Tomorotec Finger Pulse Oximeter comes with a carrying case like other top picks. The padded carrying case protects the oximeter from damage and dirt.
- Large LED display with back-lit allows for easy reading.
- Ergonomic design improves comfort.
- Hassle-free warranty.
- Reasonably priced.
- Results could be inaccurate in certain conditions.
- No battery-saving feature.
3. WRINERY Finger Oximeter
Portable oximeters usually come with a significant flaw. The screen quality is usually subpar and becomes too faint to read your results in a short time. The WRINERY Finger Oximeter makes for a better choice thanks to its improved and updated OLED display that allows you to read data in high-definition resolution.
This oximeter is also great for people that like to engage in high-intensity activities and won’t be the right pick for medical purposes. If you want to measure your respiration rate while mountain climbing, biking, skiing, or just about any regular activity, you can rely on this product for accurate results.
You will find the accuracy to be very impressive and on par with medical oximeters. When placed on the finger, it will measure the oxygen level in the blood and read pulse data and o2 saturation in a matter of seconds. However, we noticed that the oximeter struggles a bit with very high-intensity activities. For the best results, you will have to stay in a stationary condition.
To use it correctly, simply put your finger inside the chamber of the oximeter and press the power button; wait for a few seconds, and you will be able to take accurate readings of your SP02 levels and pulse rate right on the display.
The compact size makes it easy to take around, and since you won’t require a handheld oximeter to check your results, you can take it just about anywhere you want to go. This unit is designed to accommodate a wide range of finger sizes from young people to elders. Thanks to the smart spring system in the finger chamber, the oximeter will easily accommodate pre-teenagers and adults, so you can consider a size that fits all if you’re buying for more than one person.
While the WRINERY’S finger oximeter has its perks, it does come with a few hiccups. The most significant is that it won’t produce accurate results except when the conditions are favorable. If your blood perfusion level is low, the reading will be near accurate, and the oximeter will struggle under such circumstances.
Before taking measurements, you might want to rub your hands together to warm them. You should also keep your hand still as movements will reset the readings. The last precaution from WRINERY is avoiding nail polish and false fingernails as these will cause false readings.
The WRINERY’s finger oximeter seems to be very sensitive and will easily adjust its readings at any slight movement. While this is great for those that want to get the right readings all the time, it does mean you will have to match your data with a medical-use oximeter once in a while to ensure you’re on the right track.
- Very easy to set up.
- Clear OLED display.
- Comes with a handy carrying case.
- Portable and compact size.
- Fragile build.
- Only reliable when not in motion.
4. Eosaga Pulse Oximeter
- Pulse Oximeter Fingertip, Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Perfusion Index and Respiratory Rate Measurement Digital Dual Color OLED Display Perfect for Children and Adults Pulse Oximeter Fingertip, Oxygen Saturation Monitor with Perfusion Index and Respiratory Rate Measurement-Digital Dual Color OLED Display for Children and Adults -Storage Bag & lanyard Include
- HIGHLY ACCURATE&LIGHT SPEED The Pulse oximeter is equipped with the latest version of the chip and using the same technology as hospitals do to track SpO2 and PR which is accurate to within 2%, providing result in 5-8 seconds. Clinical use shows that the accuracy of each index is improved by 2% -3% compared with other oximeters
- ENRICH HEALTH Only for sport and aviation use .This Oxygen Saturation Monitor has been approved, which provides SpO2 level, pulse rate, perfusion index and respiratory rate with a plethysmograph on a customizable two colorful OLED, to monitor your daily health indicators in seconds. Not for use during exercise
- PORTABLE&COMFORTABLE This Fingertip Pulse Oximeter provides an easy, one-touch operation , adjustable alert and automatic shutoff after 8 secs ,and the high-resolution OLED supports 5 levels of brightness is great for sports enthusiasts like mountain climbers, skiers, bikers, aviators
- RELIABLE & DURABLE O2 saturation monitor consists of a compact device with sturdy housing, hypoallergenic comfortable finger chamber, a speaker, a colorful screen, and control buttons, comes with a free portable storage bag and a lanyard, supports low battery indicator. And the average battery life of 40 hours
With a measurement accuracy of 99% – 100%, the Eosaga Pulse Oximeter makes a lot of promises that it surely keeps. From our review and the reviews of many users, this oximeter does provide accurate measurements for a wide range of groups including kids and adults.
The design is not really different from other oximeters on our list, and the functionality is just the same: to measure your blood oxygen saturation and pulse rate in real time. The fingertip pulse oximeter supports 5 levels of brightness. This makes it easier to read data on the OLED screen. To save the battery, the oximeter will automatically shut off after 8 seconds.
The pulse oximeter is able to provide accurate results in 5-8 seconds which is a bit longer than many other oximeters, but it does score points for its accuracy. It features the same technology used in hospital oximeters that track SpO2 and PR. It will also measure your respiration rate with the same level of accuracy.
The oximeter is designed for sport and aviation and will keep track of your activities in all conditions. However, it is not suitable for exercises and will likely produce wrong results even in low-intensity exercises. You should be able to track and read all your data on its OLED display. You can customize as you see fit and set levels for your respiratory rate, pulse rate, perfusion index, and Sp02 level. When your readings exceed the preset levels, the oximeter will alert you. You can adjust the audible alert to make it louder or reduce its volume.
Considering the design, this oximeter features sturdy housing that should stand the test of time. The hypoallergenic finger chamber is super comfortable so just about anybody – kids, and adults – can make use of the oximeter.
Like all portable oximeters, this pick makes use of batteries though it is the only brand that actually gives you a heads-up as to how long the batteries will last. With continuous use, the average battery life is about 40 hours. It comes with a low battery indicator that alerts you so you can change the battery and still maintain reading accuracy.
- Produces readings in seconds.
- Compact and sturdy build quality.
- Features an audible alert setting.
- Battery life is up to 40 hours.
- The battery does not come with the package.
- Results are sometimes inconsistent.
5. iProven Finger Pulse Oximeter
- Fast And Accurate – Know your oxygen saturation (SpO2) and pulse rate in less than 10 seconds, with the fast and accurate OXI-33 oxygen monitor. Your results update in real-time.
- Unique Respiratory Rate (RR) Feature – The oximeter counts your breaths per minute and updates in real-time. Use the RR to improve your breathing exercises and help you relax.
- Perfusion Index (PI) And Plethysmograph – The blood oxygen saturation monitor measures the blood flow in your fingertip. The PI and waveform graph (plethysmograph) show you if the signal is strong and even.
- Manually Turn The Screen Direction – Change the settings of the pulse ox: mute the alarm system or turn the OLED screen in the system menu. The oximeter shuts down automatically 12 seconds after removing your finger from the device.
- What’s In The Box – The O2 monitor comes with a pair of AAA batteries, a lanyard, a storage pouch, an instruction manual, and a flyer with tips and tricks. Your purchase is protected by our 30-days, no questions asked, full refund policy.
With the iProven Finger Pulse Oximeter, you can count your breaths per minute (respiratory rate) in just a matter of seconds. This is another oximeter being offered to sports enthusiasts and those looking to learn how to claim down faster with breathing exercises. However, it is still not the best pick for those looking to record their data while exercising.
The display is a waveform graph or plethysmograph that shows you the rhythm of your heartbeat. Every movement will influence the rhythm and your results. The OLED screen can be turned manually in the device settings so you won’t have to strain yourself while trying to read your data.
You can also set your own SpO2 or pulse rate in this oximeter. This can be done in the settings. When your readings fall below the preset levels, the oximeter will alert you via an alarm. You can mute the alarm entirely in the settings at any time of your choosing.
Using the device won’t pose a challenge and will only take about a few seconds. Simply open the clip and insert your pointer finger until it touches the bump in the back. Close the device and press the button. Within seconds, it will display your readings. You could set your own levels from the settings menu. Simply press and hold the button until the settings menu shows up and select a feature.
Another convenient feature is the automatic shutdown. The device will shut down 12 seconds after removing it from your finger to save battery life. The oximeter uses AAA batteries which will come with the package. Keep in mind that they will have to be replaced every few months. For easy storage and extra protection, there is a soft storage pouch designed for the oximeter. Overall, the iProven Finger Pulse Oximeter scores nice points for its ease of use. It will also fit perfectly for little kids above the age of 4 as well as adults.
- Sleek and compact design.
- Easy to use.
- Comes with a user guide.
- Features an alarm system setting.
- Short battery life.
- A bit bulky.