Only a few things change faster than oxygen saturation in individuals with certain diseases that affect the airways and the heart. One minute it’s fine, the other minute it’s gone low! And if that sudden drop isn’t noticed on time and duly addressed, the consequences aren’t usually cool at all.
Using a pulse oximeter helps to keep a tab on a person’s oxygen saturation. But having a pulse oximeter with an alarm feature is much better, as it alerts you immediately the oxygen levels drop to dangerously low levels — especially while the monitored individual is sleeping.
In this review, we’d be looking at some of the best pulse oximeters with alarm function.
Pulse Oximeters with Alarm: Our Top Recommendations
Scouring the marketing to handpick pulse oximeters with alarms isn’t an easy task. But our research team didn’t do just that; they also compared the identified models in terms of ease of use, accuracy, brand trust, and buyer reviews.
And here are our top contenders that you shouldn’t go wrong with.
1. Viatom Handheld Pulse Oximeter
- ACCURATELY DETECTS: Accurately detects SpO2, PR (Pulse Rate), and PI (Perfusion Index). Quickly responds and displays on the big screen in real-time. (Note: This product is not equipped with tempurature detector)
- FREE PC SOFTWARE: Detaile reports and unlimited storage in the PC Softeare, allowing you to easily view/ print or share PDF reports to others.
- EASY TO READ: Color LED screen provides an ultra easy-to-read experience. Bigger Screen Tells You More. Just in a glance, the significant data are all in your eyes. Auto-rotate function allows you to see the readings in any direction.
- ADUlTS USE: Our Handheld Pulse Oximeter is Always Competent the cables for adults are included in accessories. You can select “Adult” as user type for more specific measurement and analysis.
- Suitable For Multi-person management: 16 user IDs for marking data and separate management. Specific accessories for users in different ages. Up to 580 hours of data storage for SpO2 and PR and can be recalled.
- Note: It’s not a medical device. This device is for Sports and Aviation use only and not intended for medical use.
For sleep apnea patients, the Viatom Handheld Pulse Oximeter could be the best pick. While it is not the most affordable option, it will reduce your worries about inaccurate data thanks to its high-end features.
This unit not only makes a great choice for personal use but also for an office or a clinic that uses SpO2 and temperature measurements and inputs them into a computer. It can be used for more than one person (up to 16 user IDs) and save data to each profile. This is a plus if you’re planning on using it for more than one member of the family or in a professional setting. The Oximeter features a finger monitor for adults and one for pediatric patients. There are so many ways to configure it as well as a USB C port that allows for data transfer. This also doubles as the charging port.
For people with sleep apnea or other conditions where your doctor recommends monitoring your oxygen levels overnight, the Viatom Oximeter will easily help with that and deliver accurate results. However, you might want to ensure that the clip-on is well-secured to prevent it from slipping off your finger at night.
The design is impressive overall. There is a large display that lays out information in real time. The controls are quite intuitive and easy to use. User experience is further improved with the addition of a handy charging stand. This makes viewing a lot easier as it helps the oximeter to stay upright.
The software is a bit dated, but it does its job wonderfully though you will have to deal with the inelegant look. This shouldn’t be a problem for those who prefer functionality to aesthetics.
The Viatom Oximeter is designed for all ages including newborns and infants. You can select the user type in the handheld device to get a more specific measurement and analysis based on you whether it is been used on an adult, child, or infant.
With up to 580 hours of data storage available in the oximeter, you can store, access, and review your history over a long period. There is also an audible & visual alert feature that comes in handy while asleep. When the Sp02 reading falls below the preset alert setting, the oximeter will send a visual and audible alert to wake you which will improve your sleep.
- Provides management for up to 16 user IDs.
- Compatible with both adults and babies.
- Provides accurate results.
- Easy-to-read screen display.
- High price tag.
- The device has a short battery life.
2. CMI PC-66L Health Oximeter
- 𝗔𝗖𝗖𝗨𝗥𝗔𝗧𝗘, 𝗥𝗘𝗟𝗜𝗔𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗜𝗡 𝗦𝗘𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗗𝗦 – Manufactured according to CE, ISO 9001, and ISO 13485 professional standards; Pulse rate accurate to 2 bpm; SpO2 (oxygen saturation levels) accurate to 3% between 70-100% saturation levels
- 𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗬 𝗧𝗢 𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗗 𝗗𝗜𝗦𝗣𝗟𝗔𝗬 – Color LCD to display SpO2, Pulse Rate, and plethysmogram; Set high/low pulse rates and low oxygen levels at which alarm sounds; Audible from other room Log up to 384 hrs of data; No WiFi or smartphone required
- 𝗜𝗡𝗖𝗟𝗨𝗗𝗘𝗗 – Handheld Pulse Oximeter; Adult finger spot checking sensor (not for overnight use; Overnight sensor available separately); Converter cable; Data cable; Stand; Carry bag; Charging cable; AC adapter. Other SpO2 sensors are not included. Non CMI Health sensors are NOT COMPATIBLE with this device.
- 𝟭 𝗬𝗘𝗔𝗥 𝗗𝗘𝗩𝗜𝗖𝗘 𝗪𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗔𝗡𝗧𝗬 – 1-year limited warranty for device, 6-month warranty for sensors with free replacement, repair, or exchange. Please don’t hesitate to contact our US based customer support and we will make thing right for you.
- K𝗘𝗘𝗣𝗦 𝗬𝗢𝗨 𝗔𝗟𝗘𝗥𝗧 – The lightweight CMI Health Handheld Pulse Oximeter’s mute function will cease and the standard beeps will resume if the levels drop below the set threshold for more than 90 seconds or if the device is unable to get a reading
Another terrific handheld option is the CMI Health Oximeter. Built according to CE, ISO 9001, and ISO 13485 standards, this oximeter features a clip-on design that will stay on throughout the night. This unit will make for the perfect option for those on a tight budget but still in need of a reliable product from a reputable brand. It will record the necessary data needed to measure your blood oxygen levels and could also screen for signs of Sleep Apnea.
This CMI PC-66L features a handheld oximeter, an adult finger clip Sp02 sensor, a converter cable, and an AC adapter charging cable. This unit is designed to fit only adults so you might want to consider another option if you’re looking for a full-family option or a unit that handles children, teens, and adults. The carry case is a big plus and should aid in easy storage.
The color LCD display is easy to read allowing you to easily view your Sp02, pulse rate, and plethysmogram readings even in low-light conditions. You can set the oximeter as you see fit using the display.
When the oxygen levels go below the preset levels, an alarm will alert you to make the necessary checks. You will find the alarm pretty reliable as it can be heard from other rooms. The oximeter is able to log up to 384 hours of data which should be enough for your physician to make a diagnosis. It also works without the need for Wi-Fi or a smartphone.
If you plan on using the oximeter on the go, you will be delighted to find that this pick is portable and lightweight. It weighs just 1 pound, and with the carry case, you won’t have to carry an additional bag to keep it out of sight. Keep in mind that the CMI PC-66L comes with its own sensors and accessories and can be upgraded by purchasing additional accessories. However, non-CMI-health sensors are not compatible with the device.
Not as if you will ever need it, but there is a 1-year device warranty for the device, and a 6-month warranty for sensors. The sensors will be replaced, repaired, or exchanged for free, but the warranty on the device is limited.
- Accurately measures SpO2 and pulse rate.
- 1-year device warranty.
- Log up to 384 hrs of data.
- Long battery.
- The beep alarm cannot be disabled.
- A Clip-on sensor could be tough to sleep with.
3. LOOKEE Ox-Ring Overnight Pulse Oximeter
- ALL-DAY MONITORING: Keep continuous track of your blood oxygen level, pulse rate, and body motion all day long with LOOKEE Ring. With a full charge, it can last for up to 16 hours.
- SMART READINGS REMINDER: LOOKEE Ring is designed to notify you and mark it in the report when your O2 level falls below the preset threshold.
- DETAILED APP REPORTS: Our free app provides you with graphic O2, PR reports, and data trends. You can also share unlimited PDF and CSV reports. The app is compatible with iOS 9.0 or above, iPhone 4s/ iPad 3 or above, Android 5.0 or above, with Bluetooth 4.0 BLE.
- BUILT-IN MEMORY: LOOKEE Ring comes with a built-in memory that can store four groups of 10-hour data. When connected to the app via Bluetooth, the data is automatically uploaded.
- USER-FRIENDLY: Our patented soft silicon sensor ring is lightweight, comfortable, and easy to wear. LOOKEE Ring is designed to make your monitoring experience convenient and enjoyable.
- RECHARGEABLE: Enjoy long battery life with LOOKEE Ring. After being fully charged, it can be used for up to 16 hours, making it perfect for your all-day tracking needs.
- GIFT YOURSELF PEACE OF MIND WITH LOOKEE: As a health technology brand from NY and BC, we are committed to providing you with the best health monitoring experience. With our 30-day worry-free return policy, one-year replacement, and lifetime LOOKEE tech support from our local teams based in the US and Canada.
- DISCLAIMER: This product is not a medical device. It is intended for sports and aviation use only and not for medical use. Please contact our Support Team if you have any question.
Oximeters with clip-on options tend to sell accuracy as one of their best advantages, but you might be restricted by a clip-on oximeter while you’re asleep especially if you want it to stay in place and record accurate data. The LOOKEE Ox-Ring Oximeter solves this problem with an innovative twist. Rather than a clip-on, it comes as a ring with a display that can be worn over the index finger. The display records all the necessary data which can be checked in the LOOKEE mobile app. However, this means that you will have to connect to the internet at all times to check your data. Still, the convenience it offers makes it a more viable option.
The Ox-Ring is designed for continuous monitoring and will track your sleep events accurately thanks to the patented soft finger ring sensor. It is designed to make you feel more comfortable and frees your finger from the strain of clip-on oximeters. The unit features an abnormal data reminder that notifies you and reports the data in the app whenever your readings go beyond the preset threshold.
The adjustable vibration alarm gives you the choice between five intensity levels to alert you of the slip-in oxygen level. This helps you to shift your sleeping position so that you can breathe much better.
The mobile app is quite intuitive, and we consider its layout to be well-thought-out, allowing for easy user navigation so you won’t have a hard time checking your sleep report, creating your settings, and making adjustments when the need arises.
The brand allows you to return the product if you’re not impressed with its functionality. While that is less likely to happen, there is a 30-day return policy as well as a work-free 12-month warranty on the product.
Keep in mind that the Ox-Ring isn’t your overall compact option as it might be quite bulky for some. It is almost the same size as the smallest Apple wristwatch. While this helps it record and display accurate data, it also means that it might not be the most comfortable option in the long run. However, it is a better choice if you don’t want to sleep next to a cable and a handheld oximeter. You should take care of the screen though. Being plastic, it could easily scratch, but this only happens if you’re not gentle with it.
- AAA battery included.
- Portable OX-Ring.
- Allows for data readings on a smartphone or tablet.
- Return policy and long-term warranty.
- Great for sleep recording.
- Ox-Ring looks bulky.
4. Wellue Bluetooth Oximeter
- ACCURATE AND RELIABLE: Our oximeter finger with pulse accurately measures SpO2 and Pulse Rate in 8 seconds. Automatically powers on/off.
- FREE APP for ANDROID & iOS: Automatically receive data from the finger oxygen monitor in real-time, and store the received data. View the stored data at any time. Only synchronize and store data while opening the APP.
- BUILD-IN MEMORY: Up to 12 groups data of Oxygen Level, Pulse Rate and Perfusion Index in record list screen. Quickly view your last 12 times historical data with one click.
- SMART REMINDER: If O2 level or pulse rate exceeds the preset limit, the device will beep to remind you automatically and the readings will flash on the screen.
- COME WITH ACCESSORIES: Includes 2 x AAA batteries placed and removed easily, a carry pouch to protect the oxygen reader, and a lanyard for convenient carry.
- NOTE: It’s not a medical device. This device is for Sports and Aviation use only and not intended for medical use.
Considered one of the best brands in the industry, Wellue offers some of the most innovative oximeters you will ever come across. One of the most notable mentions is the Wellue Bluetooth Oximeter. This oximeter is a fingertip option, but unlike the clip-on finger types, it doesn’t come with a cable that needs to be attached to the handheld oximeter.
Rather it uses Bluetooth to record and transfer your data to the free mobile app. The unit is designed to measure O2 level, pulse strength, and pulse rate accurately in 8 seconds. The recorded data will be synchronized and stored in the app where you can view and keep track of your readings. The main feature doesn’t deviate from what a regular oximeter is meant to do. It will remind you with a buzzer and readings flashing when your blood oxygen is lower than the threshold.
The Wellue Bluetooth Oximeter comes with ample storage that for up to 12 groups of data on the display screen. You can check your own historical data and customize your abnormal value reminder range as well as turn on/off the beep sound while measuring your levels on the oximeter. You can decide on the thresholds for the O2 level limit and pulse range limit.
The Wellue Bluetooth Oximeter is built for convenience. You can easily slip the sensor on your finger without worrying about it falling off at night while you sleep. To start recording your data, simply place a finger in the padded clip, and the gadget will be switched on automatically.
You can also press the sole operating body to switch on the unit. It will begin measuring your oxygen levels and pulse rate. Keep in mind that the mobile app requires Bluetooth connectivity to sync on your smartphone or device which will allow you to track and manage your vital information.
The unit also comes with a carry pouch designed to protect the device as well as allow you to take it with you while traveling or on the go.
- Ample memory for up to 12 groups.
- Sends audible and visual alerts.
- Features a carry pouch for convenient carry.
- Accurate and professional.
- The app is pretty clunky.
- The connection could be better.
5. Concord Handheld Pulse Oximeter
- ACCURATE & RELIABLE: Large 2.4″ OLED color display accurately measures SpO2 and Pulse Rate measurements during motion and low perfusion
- EASY AND EFFICIENT: Excellent for quick spot-checks and continuous monitoring. SpO2 measurement range: 0%-100%; Pulse-rate measurement range: 25-300bpm
- FEATURES: Adjustable Audible and visual alarms for both SpO2 and Pulse Rate. Low signal-quality and battery indicators
- PACKAGE INCLUDES: A handheld pulse oximeter, adult sensor, 3-AA batteries, silicon protective boot cover with metal stand and user manual
- DEPENDABLE: USA Based Tech Support. 2-Year Warranty
If you’re in the market for a more affordable and traditional type of monitor, then the Concord Handheld Pulse Oximeter might just be the right option for you. It features a large 2.4″ OLED color display that will accurately display the data for Sp02 and pulse rate measurements during motion. The device can measure SpO2 range from 0% – 100% and a pulse-rate measurement range from 25-300bpm. The handheld oximeter works quite well for long-term continuous monitoring and won’t cause any problems for the user during use. The adult sensor is particularly comfortable on the finger and will provide accurate readings at all times.
There are indicators for signal strength so you can place the sensor properly on your finger. You will find battery indicators that alert you of the battery level so you won’t run out of juice at the most crucial time. The oximeter will take your readings and alert you whenever the data goes below the threshold setting. It will do so through several programmable alarms that include visual and audible indicators. You can check the oximeter immediately, and you hear the alarm beep or ring based on your settings.
This oximeter was designed for medical use, but it also could also serve such a purpose. When compared with high-end options used by medical practitioners, the results are usually identical.
The only drawback of this oximeter is how it works. You will have to take the handheld wherever you go if you want to get more information. If you’re just interested in the results from your sleep or getting alerts while you sleep, this unit shouldn’t be a problem at all. In fact, it becomes a plus as you won’t always have to pick up your phone and open the app to check the results; you can find all the data you need on the oximeter’s display.
- Large 2.4″ OLED color display for checking results.
- Adjustable audible and visual alarms.
- 2-year warranty.
- Compact and lightweight oximeter.
- Batteries are expensive.
- Short battery life.